The Better the Coach, The Better the Experiences,
The Better the Athlete
Why Become a Special Olympics Wyoming Coach?
We currently have enough coaches registered to offer Athletics, Basketball, Bowling and Cycling! Stayed tuned for updates on sports that will be offered!
Interested in hosting a coaches training in your community? Check out the requirements.
We rely on nearly a thousand volunteers throughout the year to give their time, knowledge and spirit to coach our Special Olympics Wyoming athletes. Coaching is open to everyone- past and current coaches, past and current athletes, or people with or without any sports experience who just want to help out!
Coaches play an indispensible role in Special Olympics, and coaching education helps to ensure each coach and athlete has the best sport experience possible. Special Olympics Wyoming is happy to teach you what you need to know to enjoy your experience and make a significant difference in the lives of our athletes and families
- Assist athletes in developing sports skills and applying them during competitions
- Build confidence and self-esteem through sport
- Organize and conduct an 8-10 week sports training program
- Teach all coaching staff and athletes the rules of the sport
How Do I Become a Coach?
If you're not currently involved with a Special Olympics team, the first step is to fill out the Volunteer Interest Survey. Speicial Olympics Wyoming will forward your interest to the Local Coordinator in your area. You’ll work with the local coordinator about their volunteer/coach needs.
After communicating with the local coordinator or if you are already involved with a team, a coach needs the following before working with athletes:
STEP 1: COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING:
Class A Volunteer Registration Form
- A background check will be conducted on individuals 18 years of age and older.
- The volunteer application must be resubmitted every three (3) years.
- DocuSign Class A Volunteer Application
- Online Protective Behaviors Training.
- This training is required every three (3) years.
- Online General Session Training.
- Online Concussion Training ~ Required of all coaches
STEP 2: COMPLETE SPORT TRAINING CERTIFICATION
- OPTION #1: For Volunteers without prior sports experience or certification
- Attend a Special Olympcis Wyoming Coaches Training (see below for dates and registration)
- Complete the Application for Sports Training Certification
- OPTION #2: For volunteers with prior sports certification from an outside agency or with extensive sports experience (call Bobby Casey to get approval of "extensive sports experience")
- Complete the online Coaching Special Olympics Athletes course
- Complete the Application for Alternate Head Coach Certification
- In recognition of volunteer coaches with formal sport education, Special Olympics Wyoming provides an application for Alternate Head Coach Certification. To obtain a three-year sport specific Head Coach Certification, a coach can submit an application listing sport specific and educational levels achieved outside of Special Olympics Wyoming
CHECK YOUR CERTIFIED COACH STATUS
Special Olympics U.S. Programs - Coaching Progression
While some volunteers may choose to remain a Sport Assistant, others may strive to increase their level coaching and sports specific knowledge. Volunteers who wish to increase their coaching skills can progress through the levels of certification outlined below.
Entry Level Requirements
- Class A Form/Complete Background Check
- Special Olympics General Orientation
- Protective Behaviors Training
- Concussion Course
LEVEL 1 - CERTIFIED COACH
Core Coaching Knowledge
Traditional Special Olympics | Unified Sports
- All Sport Assistant Requirements
- Coaching Special Olymics Athletes - online via Human Kinectics Coach Education (formerly ASEP) or in person training conducted by certified trainer.
- Coaching Unified Sports - online course course via course NFHS or in person training conducted by certified trainer.
LEVEL 2 - CERTIFIED COACH*
Sports Specific Knowledge
Traditional Special Olympics | Unified Sports
- All Level 1 Requirement
- Sports Specific Course - online for those sports where online courses have been developed or in-person sport specific training.
* NOTE: Level required of Head Coaches attending USA National Games in the specific sport being conducted.
Fitness Coach Course - online or in person training conducted by certified trainer.
NOTE: Option to become a certified Firtness Coach is not sport-specific, but general knowledge applicable to all sports. Also, being certifed as as fitness Coach is not a requirement to coach at the Special Olympics USA Games.
LEVEL 3 - CERTIFIED COACH**
Advanced Coaching Knowledge
- All Level 2 Requirements
- Principles of Coaching Course - online via WVU or in person training conducted by a certified trainer
**NOTE: Level required of Head Coaches attending World Games
Online Sports Certification Courses
- Aquatics: Coaching Swimming
- Athletics: Coaching Track & Field
- Basketball: Coaching Basketball or Coaching Youth Basketball
- Golf: Coaching Golf
- Soccer: Coaching Soccer, or Coaching Youth Soccer
- Softball: Coaching Softball, or Coaching Youth Softball
- Tennis: Coaching Youth Tennis
- Powerlifting: Strength and Conditioning
- Unified Sports*: Coaching Unified Sports Required for coaches of Unified Sports Teams (Updated 12/21/2017)
Coach certification needs to be renewed every three years. Coaches have the option to:
- Attend a sport-specific training (online or in person)
- or Receive First aid and CPR Certification (good for one-time recertification)
- or Complete one of the following online courses below:
- Strength and Conditioning ***
- Fundamentals of Coaching ***
- Teaching and Modeling Behavior ***
- Teaching Sports Skills ***
- First Aid, Health and Safety for Coaches
- Creating a Safe and Respectful Environment
- A Guide to Sports Nutrition
- Engaging Effectively with Parents
Once a recertification course is completed, the coach must submit an Application for Sports Training Certification, listing the recertification course taken and what sport they are requesting recertification in.
*** There is an associated cost with these courses that will not be reimbursed by Special Olympics Wyoming.
Have questions? Contact Bobby Casey 307.235.3062 or email@example.com